A picture is worth a thousand words they say. And a short film is worth a thousand (or more!) pictures! Short films are a powerful medium to talk about a gripping subject and make an impact in a short time frame. In this digital age of short attention spans and busy lives, people don’t have the patience to sit through a lengthy documentary to understand the importance of health in our life. That’s why it was encouraging to see one of the top hospitals in India promote a short film contest to make people aware of the health issues we are facing in our frantic lifestyles now a days.
Manipal Hospitals is part of the Manipal Education and Medical Group (MEMG) who are pioneers in the field of education and healthcare delivery. They are one of the leading hospitals in India. The focus at Manipal Hospitals is to develop an affordable multi-specialty healthcare framework through its entire delivery spectrum and further extend it to homecare too. They have launched a Short Film contest called “Seize the story” where they want to promote healthy living by showcasing interesting stories in Short Film format so that it connects to the larger audience in the society.
The topics on which you can make the short films are:
1) No Smoking – Showcase the evil effects of Smoking and how you can encourage someone to give it up
2) Road Safety – Showcase how and why you need to be careful on the roads
3) Depression – Showcase how someone can be battling depression and trying to get out of it
4) Drug Abuse – Showcase the dark side of the society and how we must avoid it
5) Eye Donation – Showcase one of the most honorable donation in the world
6) Cancer – Showcase how people can combat this disease and get out of it rather than giving up
There are some cool prizes to be won if you take part in this contest. There is a grand prize of 1 Lakh rupees! Even if you don’t land that, you can get a gratification of Rs.10,000 if your video is selected for the contest. There are some cool gift hampers to be won too!
Before you rush to take your camera out and shoot this film, I would like to advise you some important rules which are more to guide you than to deter you:
1) Films in languages other than English need English Subtitles.
2) Film should be minimum of 2 minutes long and maximum of 10 minutes long
3) Film music has to be royalty-free / copyright-free
4) Film Formats: Mp4&avi ; Resolution: 720p or 1080p
That’s it, quite simple and easy to follow rules which will not limit your creativity while telling your master piece too!
But hurry up as December 5th is the last date for the contest! Great News – last date for the contest has been extended till January 5th! More detailed terms and conditions are here.
Wondering how to send your video? Very simple! Upload your video on this website using the form under the section “Time for the premiere” You can also mail a link that has your video to Sachin.firstname.lastname@example.org
So “Seize the story” by conveying a good message and take a shot at winning Rs.1,00,000! All the best!